The University of Alabama REU in Innovative Engineering Using Renewable Resources is housed in the departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering. This multidisciplinary program spans 9 weeks and offers opportunities for 10 students from UA and other institutions across the nation. Students in all areas of engineering are encouraged to apply.
Available research projects share the theme of innovative use of bamboo within multiple engineering and computer science disciplines.
This REU Site at The University of Alabama involves research projects on renewable resources, with a particular focus on bamboo. All student research projects will involve bamboo. This theme was chosen because of the interest and activities centered around bamboo at UA and in Alabama over the past few years. A wide spectrum of project topics will allow undergraduate students from multiple engineering disciplines to work together on problems with broad societal impact. While the project topics will engage students in multiple disciplines, the theme is focused and allows students to work collectively on exciting and relevant problems. Students will also participate in Crimson Startup, a six-week entrepreneurship training program.
- Review Begins: January 31, 2017
- Final Application Deadline: March 22, 2017
- Notification Date: April 14, 2017
- Program Dates: May 24 – July 25, 2017
For more information about this program, contact the following program managers:
We encourage applications from students who are also members of a group underrepresented in computing (women, African Americans, Hispanics, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, persons with disabilities, first generation higher education, low income) or who are enrolled in a minority, women’s or non-doctoral institution.
Complete the online application by the deadline for full consideration. We reserve the right to make offers to promising applicants before the deadline. Transcripts are not required in the initial application. However, they will be requested during the final selection process.Apply to this Program
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or its possessions
- Be unemployed or in an inactive status in any position held during the ten-week program
- Be and remain an undergraduate student in good standing
- Plan to complete a degree program
- Contribute to an ongoing research project through collaboration with faculty members, graduate students and other undergraduate students
- Take part in a professional development program designed to foster research and technical communication skills through training; to gain knowledge of technology transfer in a unique entrepreneurship program; and to encourage pursuit of graduate studies.
- Interact with students, academics and practitioners in a number of settings, ranging from informal meetings to a professional conference
Participant will receive:
- Competitive Stipend
- Housing on the UA campus
- Relocation allowance
- Commit at least 40 hours per week to REU activities
- Attend professional development workshops or research seminars
- Attend social events